Short Rib Ragu
This short rib ragu is a great weeknight pasta dish that can be made ahead and ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s beefy, earthy and full of deliciousness.
What is ragu ?
Whats the difference between ragu and bologenese
Pasta to sauce ratio. A bolognese is best served with a flat pasta such as a lasagna that will require a looser sauce. The short rib ragu is a thicker sauce that sticks to pasta. It’s a small but impactful difference. What to serve with beef ragu? Ragu is versatile and delicious, so it goes with almost any starch pasta or rice. Try serving with fettuccine, pappardelle, polenta, rice or risotto.
Short Rib Ragu
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 lbs short ribs
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup red wine Cabernet Sauvignon recommended
- 1 small onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 tbsp flour
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Cover the short ribs with oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear them on all sides
- Until a dark brown crust forms.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Add carrot and onion, and cook until softened.
- Toss in the garlic and cook for about one minute. Scoop in the tomato paste and mix.
- Once mixed add the flour, paprika and thyme. It’ll form almost a paste.
- Add the liquids and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- If using a pressure cooker/instant pot place ribs back in and pressure cook for 40 minutes. Otherwise place in the oven covered for 2-2.5 hours.
- Remove bones, shred beef and return them to the sauce.
- When ready to eat just reheat over the stove top, add your favorite cooked pasta and fresh Parmesan cheese.