Learn how to cook, today!
Want to learn how to make amazing meals to impress your friends or family? This post is for you! Learning to cook can be a difficult and challenging process, however, it can also be one of the most rewarding experiences in your life.
I’m here to help you plunge into the culinary world. Being able to see the joy on my family and friends faces when they take the first bite of a dish I’ve cooked is the best feeling. With this blog, not only can I enjoy my family and friends faces, but I get to share that joy with you as well.
So, what are the basic cooking skills?
There are key skills that will help set the foundation for your future culinary success. Each one is unique and versatile, and will help you overcome the kitchen conundrum. Here is a list of skills that are key to making magic in the kitchen.
- Chopping: Simply put, cutting things into pieces. The beginning of some impressive knife skills. One of the craziest tips? The sharper the knife, the safer it is.
- Stirring: Seems simple, but with a little technique can help bring together the flavors and consistency of your creations.
- Roasting: Cooking with high heat over a flame or in an oven.
- Baking: Similar to roasting. Allowing the caramelization process to occur.
- Grilling: Hot and fast heat applied to the surface of the food. The art of creating a great presentation with beautiful grill marks. If you’re interested in learning more, see my top nine tips to up your grilling game.
- Smoking: Low temperature for a long period of time. Often referred to as low and slow. Its super power is increasing the flavor of the food.
- Sautéing: Using a small amount of oil over heat.
- Sous Vide: Translates to under vacuum. It is the process of cooking foods submersed in a water bath. I know it sounds crazy but, it is a real treat. With a few tools it gives you a wider margin of error. Interested? Sous-vide everything gives you what you need to start using this skill.
Now that I understand the basic skills, where do I start?
- Read the recipe: I know, I know. You’re already reading this blog so reading a recipe will be easy peasy, right? Well, it’s not always that simple. When you read a recipe, look for the ingredients and check out the quantities. What ingredients will go together? Are they wet or dry? Reading the entire recipe will also give you a sense of timing – if you want to eat at 8:00, when do you need to start?
- Clear your work space: Like my mom says, clean as you go! A clean space makes the work a lot easier. Have you ever started a project only to find you had to stop and do some extra upkeep? It can be a real buzz kill.
- Empty the dishwasher or sink: Dishes aren’t fun, but I promise this extra step will make it easier.
- Prep the work space: trust me, you’ll need some extra prep for the space. In most cases this will be amazingly easy but it’s a critical step in the process.
- Set out your ingredients: have everything you need within arm’s reach. It’s much easier to combine your ingredients and allows you to concentrate on the steps that need to occur.
- Have a towel handy: It sounds silly but a towel is the most versatile item at your disposal.
What should I cook?
- Risotto: This one pot dish is a crowd pleaser and can make you look like a rock star. Start here for an easy instant pot risotto
- Pizza: Because who doesn’t love pizza?
- Sauces: Sauces are clutch and can take your cooking game to the next level. Whether it’s red, white, or oil based, you can’t go wrong with perfecting this food staple.
- Chicken – Simple but versatile and lends itself to a greater margin of error.
- Spaghetti – Add some of your homemade sauce, and maybe even venture into making your own pasta! Either way, a good plate of spaghetti is hard to pass up.
- Roasted Veggies – You can’t go wrong with roasted veggies. Keeping it seasonal will guarantee you always have a great result.
Basic cooking skills, how to get ready to make some awesome food and integral dishes that will make you look like a rockstar in the kitchen. It’s hard work, but taking the time to improve your culinary IQ will make a huge difference.
If you have experiences or tips that have helped you along the way please share them in the comments below. If you like this blog post, share with a friend and subscribe for more content.