Hands-off Instant Pot Risotto
If you haven’t had risotto you are truly missing out. It’s actually a lot easier than it looks to create a perfectly creamy and delicious side dish. If you are feeling a little bit more adventurous you can customize by adding additional veggies and protein to create a complete meal.
So you may be wondering, ‘why risotto?’. Well, to put it simply risotto has the ability to accentuate your meal with next levels of flavor. With some time and a little effort rice can surprise you. Plus by using the instant pot you can set it and forget it.
Risotto is an northern Italian dish comprised of Arborio, a starchy rice, that is then infused with broth, butter, onions and wine to form a base. From there you can make it anything you want it to be. Just add 1-2 cups of your favorite vegetable(s).
Personally I believe you can’t go wrong with mushroom and asparagus for a filling dish. However, broccoli, peas or chicken can also be quite exquisite. Once you’ve put together a solid foundation spruce it up with seasonal toppings and as much fresh parmesan as you can handle.
When it comes to the wine you can use almost any but I recommend something you would also drink- hint hint. The goal is to enhance the flavor of the rice so the better the ingredients the better the results.
Instant Pot Risotto
- Instant Pot
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat broth.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté function and melt butter.
- Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add rice and stir until toasted, 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pot with wine. Cook until most of wine is absorbed, then turn Sauté function off.
- Add warm broth and place lid on Instant Pot. Set to Manual, High and set time for 5 minutes.
- Turn valve to to quick release. Remove lid and stir in Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.